I’ve been trying to make up some Fruity Oaty Bars for a really long time! I’ve tried a bunch of different recipes, and none of them turned out well at all. I truly almost gave up, but I decided to give it one more go…and this batch actually turned out okay!
For those “non-Browncoats” out there, Fruity Oaty Bars are featured in the movie Serenity, which is based off the TV show, Firefly. In the movie, there is a TV advertisement for a product called Fruity Oaty Bars. It has a catchy little tune, too 🙂 Well, the advertisement turns out to have some serious subliminal messages hidden within it, which causes a bit of a problem for the crew.
In the animated advertisement, the bars are rainbow colored. I tried my best to recreate that, but if you don’t want to dye the dough, you don’t have to. Just leave that step out.
I used this recipe from CookFiction as inspiration and adapted it slightly to suit my tastes.
Fruity Oaty Bars – Serenity
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup jam (any flavor)
- Beat together the butter and sugar.
- Add the oats, flour, and salt, and mix until crumbly.
- Add the egg, applesauce, and vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Divide the dough evenly into 4 small bowls.
- Mix each portion of dough with a different color of food coloring.
- Press half of the dough into the bottom of a square pan, alternating colors to form a rainbow look.
- Spread the jam on top of the dough.
- Sprinkle the remaining dough on top of the jam, again alternating colors.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes.
- Slice the bars across the colored strips to form a rainbow.
I love the combination of jam and oats in these bars, and the pretty colors make them extra fun to eat!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Rest assured, this costs you nothing extra!