In Happy Birthday, Addy! Addy celebrates her spring-time birthday with cherry pie and homemade ice cream. While I (tragically) do not have an ice cream machine to make homemade ice cream to go with it, I knew I wanted to recreate Addy’s birthday cherry pie. I found this classic cherry pie recipe from Food Network and got to work. I halved the recipe to make a cute little doll-sized pie, but you can just double it again if you want to make a full-size pie, as this recipe is best when shared with friends and family, just like Addy did on her birthday.
Cherry Pie – An American Girl Recipe
- 2 cups tart cherries, pits removed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp. almond extract
- 2 small pie crusts
- Place the cherries in a pan on the stove, and cook on low heat until the juices start to come out of the cherries.
- Add the sugar, cornstarch and almond extract to the cherries, and mix well.
- Cook the cherry mixture on the stove until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Place one pie crust in the bottom of a small baking dish.
- Pour the cherry mixture into the pie tin over the crust.
- Place the second pie crust over the cherry mixture. You can make a woven lattice design if you want, or you can just place the crust on top and cut a vent in the center.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the crust turns golden brown.
To make a full-size pie, double the recipe. Share this pie with loved ones to celebrate a special occasion, or just to enjoy the fruits of spring and summer. This old-fashioned recipe definitely stands the test of time!