“Got breakfast for you! Look, you get porridge! And it’s happy to see you!”
-Mushu, Disney’s Mulan
In Disney’s Mulan, there’s a cute scene where Mushu wakes up Mulan for her first day of training. He’s made porridge for her, and he even arranged the bacon and eggs to form a smiley face. Cute!
While researching Chinese rice porridge, I came across several recipes for what’s called congee. It’s a savory porridge made of rice that has been boiled in a lot of water until it is soft and mushy. It was really simple to make. I’ll show you how!
Smiley Breakfast Porridge – Disney’s Mulan Recipe
- 1/2 cup rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 1 slice of bacon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix together the rice and water in a pot on the stove. I know this may seem like way too much water, but this porridge is supposed to be mushy.
- Bring the water and rice mixture to simmering, and simmer it for about 1 1/2 hours, or until it reaches the desired consistency. Make sure the rice doesn’t boil.
- In a separate pan, fry two eggs and one piece of bacon. Fold the bacon over into a smiley shape as it cooks.
- Transfer the porridge to a bowl, and place the eggs and bacon on top of it in the form of a smiley face.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper onto the eggs and porridge as desired.
This recipe is super simple, but it makes sure that your morning is a happy one!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Rest assured, this costs you nothing extra!