“Every diner claims their waffles are the best waffles in the world. But somewhere, in some town, there really are the best waffles – so rich, and so gold-brown, and so delicious that anyone tasted them would decide never to leave that town. Somewhere, those waffles exist. Why can’t it be here?”
-Leslie Knope, Parks and Recreation-
Anyone who has ever watched Parks and Recreation knows that Leslie Knope love waffles more than almost anything. But not just any waffles. Leslie’s favorite waffles come from Pawnee’s own J.J.’s Diner.
When I set out to recreate Leslie’s favorite waffles, I knew that not just any waffle recipe would do. They had to be perfect. Slightly crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside. Golden brown with plenty of whipped cream on top.
I searched online for tips to make the best waffles and combined several of the tips I found. I used this recipe from Fifteen Spatulas as inspiration and added a few steps from there. Without further ado, here is the best waffle recipe around!
J.J.’s Diner Waffle Recipe – Parks and Recreation
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- Set aside the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg yolks, milk, butter, and vanilla.
- Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt into the liquid mixture, and stir to combine.
- Add the sugar to the egg whites and beat the mixture on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg white mixture into the rest of the waffle batter.
- Cook the batter in a waffle iron for about 3 minutes for each waffle.
Tip: To keep the waffles crispy while you finish cooking, place cooked waffles in a single layer on a cookie sheet and place them in a warm oven (less than 200 degrees F) until you’re ready to eat them.
Top the waffles with plenty of whipped cream to enjoy thoroughly. If you’re anything like Leslie Knope, you’ll want two cans of whipped cream on hand: one for using on the waffles, and one for squirting directly into your mouth. J.J. would be proud!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission for any sales made through those links. Rest assured, this costs you nothing extra!