Kirsten’s Surprise is a winter tale, so it’s not surprising that the characters dine on potato soup. Pioneers only had access to a few fruits and vegetables during the winter, and potatoes were one of them. This potato soup recipe is simple, yet hearty and comforting. Perfect for a wintery weeknight dinner. The recipe is also very customizable. You can add a variety of seasonings and toppings to it.
I adapted this recipe from the American Girls Pastimes Kirsten’s Cook Book.
Kirsten’s Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- toppings (bacon, cheese, scallions, etc.)
- Peel and dice the onion and potatoes and place them in a pot with the salt.
- Add enough broth to barely cover the vegetables.
- Simmer the vegetables for 20 minutes, or until soft.
- Turn off the burner and mash the potatoes in the pot. You can either use a potato masher or an immersion blender. You don’t have to make it perfectly smooth. I like chunks of potato mixed in.
- Turn the burner back on and add the milk, stirring to incorporate it.
- Once the soup starts simmering again, add the butter and pepper.
- Spoon the soup into bowls and add toppings, such as crumbled bacon, cheese, or scallions.
This potato soup recipe is amazing as-is, but sometimes I like to make it a bit more exciting by adding a few things to it. A bit of garlic powder adds a great flavor, and adding carrots and celery to the mix gives color and texture to the soup. Go ahead and make this recipe your own.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Rest assured, this costs you nothing extra.