This month I am hosting Food ‘N Flix here at Fictional Fare! Food ‘N Flix is an online club where we cook and eat food inspired by different movies. Each month, a different blog hosts and chooses the theme. I’ve participated a couple times but am so excited for my first time hosting! The film I chose for August’s theme is a little-known movie called Secondhand Lions.
Y’all, this movie is such a gem. It’s one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time. Starring Haley Joel Osment, Michael Caine, and Robert Duvall, Secondhand Lions is a coming-of-age story that just makes me feel happy, no matter my mood.
The movie is set in Texas in the 1950s, but there are lots of flashback scenes to exotic places, like Morocco. I love the visual imagery in this movie, and the story is heartwarming and family friendly.
Now, I don’t want to oversell the movie and leave you disappointed, so I will say that it is not perfect. (I’ve got a few issues with the ending…but won’t mention those specific issues here for fear of spoilers 😉 ) But, despite its issues, this movie never fails to make me laugh and cry. I hope you find it as charming as I do. If not, that’s okay, but let me down gently, will ya? 🙂
So, if this sounds like fun to you, here’s how you can participate in Food ‘N Flix:
- Watch Secondhand Lions (of course!) You can check it out here.
- Take inspiration from the film to cook up something tasty.
- Post about your recipe on your blog, linking back to this announcement post and the Food ‘N Flix website…OR…Post a photo of your creation on your public Instagram account with the recipe in the caption, along with #FoodNFlix
- E-mail your entry to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com , including in your e-mail:
- Your name
- The name of your blog or Instagram account
- The name of your recipe and the direct link to the post about it
- A photo of your creation, or permission to pull a photo from your blog post
- The subject line: “Food ‘N Flix Submission”
The deadline for submission is Tuesday, August 29. I will e-mail you a confirmation when I receive your submission so you’ll know if I got it! I’ll also share your post on my Facebook and Pinterest pages with #FoodNFlix
I do hope you’ll join us this month, and let me know if you have any questions! Check out the Food ‘N Flix guidelines for further details about participation if you’re stuck. So excited to see what you all come up with!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. This costs you nothing extra, but it does help me keep this fun blog up and running. Thanks for your support!