In the middle of Bilbo’s Unexpected Party at the beginning of the Hobbit, while the dwarves are eating practically everything in sight, Bombur requests pork pie and salad.
I don’t know about you, but when I think of dwarf or hobbit feasts, I don’t usually think of salad, so I had to think and search for a long time before I found a salad that seemed sufficiently “hobbit-y”.
It’s a well-known fact that hobbits love berries, particularly blackberries, so when I saw this Blackberries and Greens Salad recipe, I knew I had found the perfect addition to the Unexpected Party menu. I made a few changes to this salad recipe to make it a bit more rustic in nature.
Purple and green lettuce adds lovely color, and I can just see Bilbo picking lettuce much like this from his garden. Goat cheese, probably purchased from Farmer Maggot, adds a bit of sharpness. Pecans give some crunch, and of course, juicy blackberries, fresh picked, top it off to make a salad any hobbit would be proud to serve guests for any meal of the day.
Bombur’s Blackberry Salad – A Hobbit Recipe
For the salad
- 3 cups purple and green lettuce
- 1 pint blackberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Wash and dry the lettuce and blackberries.
- Tear the lettuce into bite-size pieces and put it in a large serving bowl.
- Add the blackberries and pecans to the bowl.
- Crumbled the goat cheese on top, and toss all the ingredients together.
- Combine the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad.
As a side note, this blackberry salad would also be a wonderful addition to a Redwall-inspired menu, as Redwallers love nuts, cheese, and berries.