I never cared for stroganoff.
Did you read that like a Romanov?
Alright everybody, it’s time to make a recipe inspired by one of my favorite animated musicals, Anastasia! This is one of only a handful of non-Disney animated movies that I actually like, and I think the best part of it is the music. Yes, this movie is grossly inaccurate, historically speaking, but if you look at it just as a work of fiction, not based on real life, it’s a great story!
In one of the songs, Anastasia comments that she “never cared for stroganoff.” So, for this recipe, I figured I’d alter it a bit by taking out the only ingredient in stroganoff that I hate: mushrooms. Maybe it’s the mushrooms Anastasia never cared for. In that case, I bet she’d love this version, and I hope you do, too.
Anastasia’s Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Brown the ground beef in a large pan, and drain off the excess grease.
- Add to the ground beef the butter, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper and Worcestershire sauce, and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the beef broth and flour until no clumps remain.
- Add the broth/flour mixture to the pan with the seasoned beef.
- Heat the beef mixture over medium high heat, stirring constantly until the liquid thickens.
- Turn the heat off, and stir in the sour cream.
- Serve on top of egg noodles.