Get ready to be blown away by this Pepparkakor cookie recipe. These Swedish cookies are like gingerbread’s crispier cousin. With flavors like cinnamon, ginger, and maple syrup all swirled together, these may become your go-to Christmas cookies.
When I was a little girl, I was fascinated by 19th-century American pioneers. Frontierland was my favorite land at Disneyland, and Kirsten was my favorite American Girl. I loved all of the American Girl dolls and their accompanying books, but when I was 7 years old and asked Santa for an American Girl doll, I asked specifically for Kirsten, who was a Swedish-American pioneer. That doll was my very favorite possession from that time forward, and I still keep her in my home, hoping to pass her down to a hypothetical future daughter or granddaughter.
Kirsten’s cookbook was one of the many Kirsten accessories I collected as a child, and it’s a cookbook I still have and use to this day. The Pepparkakor cookie recipe I’m sharing with you today is from this cookbook, and it is such a favorite recipe of my family’s that the book automatically opens to the right page after all these years of wear and tear. This book is falling apart at the seams, but that just shows you how delicious these recipes are.
Without further ado, here is the recipe, adapted from the American Girls Pastimes Kirsten’s Cook Book.
Kirsten’s Pepparkakor Cookie Recipe – American Girl
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Mix in the egg, maple syrup, and water.
- Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and ginger, and beat together until just incorporated.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for an hour.
- Divide the dough into two, and roll out each section one after the other.
- Roll the dough nice and thin, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out individual cookies (I used Christmas cookie cutters to be festive!).
- Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet, and bake at 350 degrees F for 8 minutes.
The resulting cookies are to die for. Seriously, even if you’re not an American Girl fan, do yourself a favor and make these cookies.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Rest assured, this costs you nothing extra!